Thursday, November 3, 2011

Sorry this one took so long to put up.....October 25, 2011

WOOO! This time next week I will be in the Mission Presidents Home!!!! My MTC time is finally almost complete. The time has gone by super quick but at the same time I feel like I've been here forever.
This week my companion from Provo, Elder Vincent, got his visa! So he'll be here tomorrow afternoon I'm so pumped! Crazy to think that its already been a month since i left the good ol US of A. I cant wait to see how much Portuguese hes learned. Like I mentioned last week Sister Hall from my district in Provo got here last Wednesday and she was paired up with me and my companion because she didnt have a sister companion here. So its been fun to be able to teach with her especially because she knows the language so well and just does a whole lot better at relating to the people then we can. Probably because shes a girl haha.
Now for the biggest news of the week and pretty much the only exciting event of the week. Because yet again it was just a normal week nothing out of the ordinary. Learning to teach more effectively, learning Portuguese, and great study time. Oh yeah, duh that was a big thing too. I finished The Book of Mormon. I think it was Friday of last week. So it took me around 7 weeks maybe a little less to finish and I did it all in the MTC which was one of my goals. And I have already started it again. I learned so much this last time, its weird to see how differently I learned things from verses that Ive read so many times. I know that no matter how many times I read it (hopefully many many more) I will alwasy learn more and more new things.
Ok and now what I originally was going to talk about. Yesterday I went proselyting!!!! For anyone who isnt familiar with that word, we got to go into the outside world and talk with people on the streets and hand out copies of The Book of Mormon. Since there were 3 of us in the companionship we had 6 copies. It was so awesome, I was actually doing legit missionary work! By the end of our roughly 3 hours we had, we walked up and down like 15 steep hills, handed out all of our copies, and been denied many times. Oh and of course i got sunburned, what i get for being so white. It was a really neat experience. It was weird to just be straight up denied and kind of depressing too. But the people we have them to seemed really interested and a couple we saw even starting to read! So awesome! To think i actually talked to a Brazilian in Portuguese and gave out the most correct and true book on the Earth to possibly and hopefully change their lives. Unreal. Who would have thought after just 2 months I could speak and understand native Brazilians on the street. Going just a little better than French did haha. Oh and this coming Monday we get to go again but this time we take the city bus to the heart of Sao Paulo. So exciting, its all starting now, and before I know it it will be unfortunately be over.
I know The Book of Mormon is true, and that it is the word of God. I know that it contains the fulness of the gospel and can answer the questions of the heart. I know because I have experienced it and read it from cover to cover and will continue to do so until I die. It truly has the power to change lives.
Eu te Amo!!
Elder Gleason
P.S. It's kinda weird to bear my testimony in English after Portuguese all the time haha

No comments:

Post a Comment