Wednesday, November 9, 2011

First email from the MISSION FIELD! November 9, 2011

Wow so 2 weeks is an awful long time to go without email huh. I had so many emails to read today, luckily we have an hour now instead of just 3o minutes. But i also have to write my mission president something so really i have about 50 minutes which is still a ton better. So these last 2 weeks have been absolutely nuts. First off today was my P-day because I already had a mission conference on Monday but everytime else P-days will be Mondays. So make sure to get emails to me before then so that I can respond. Also now that I'm in the field ill be able to send pictures over the computer. So expect some soon. Hopefully next monday but im not exactly sure yet. We are at the local library and I don't know if it has a hook up for it I will see.
Next. Letters. They will now take even longer than before. Generally i will only get them about once every 6 weeks or so. Maybe a little more often during some transfers. I'm not really sure how its going to work out yet. So yeah its going to take forever to get them and also respond to them. So everybody needs to learn patinece haha. Trust me its killing me to not be able to check everyday if i have any new mail or not. So pretty much the only times ill write back is when i get something I'm not sure yet.
Now the good stuff. So my first area!!! I'm in Boituva, it is the second furthest are from the mission office. So I'm wayyyy out of the city. It takes about 3 hours by a couple buses to get out here. And my first week here I went back to the city 3 times. It flat out stunk not gonna beat around the bush. And we had to travel to another city one other day too. So my first week has been hecka crazy. Also I am in a branch of about 30 active members. Not what I was expecting that is for sure. We are the second smallest branch in the whole mission. We are also the Young Mens leaders and teach sunday school to the young men and young women. Again not what I was expecting. It has been really difficult to be honest. I have never seen something like this in my life before. And it has been tough on me. But thats what I'm here to do is help the church grow and bring people to Christ. I'll for sure be here for 3 months and then who knows where I will go.
My companion. Elder Williams, he is from Alaska and has been here for a year and 6 months. So he's fluent in the language but obviously an American. So pretty much I got the opposite of what I was expecting in all aspects. Country side, tiny branch, and an american trainer. But hes an awesome guy and while its hard to focus on practicing portuguese together I know I'll learn a lot. He was only in this area for 6 weeks before I got here so he doesnt know it too too well but we're learning together. Our area is huge and has a ton of neighborhoods all over the place some of which he hasnt even been to yet. And its all by foot. So I don't think ill be gaining any weight anytime soon. We get lunch everyday from the members that we have so its a lot of repeats but theyre awesome people. And im already SICK of beans and rice. Idk how they eat it every single days of their lives. Its really not that good haha. I will probably never have it again after my mission. I miss american food that is for sure. When i get back ill probably gain like 50 pounds from all the stuff that i miss.
Ahh what else what else. Oh so we dont really have any investigators right now which is another really hard thing for me. But we are working every day out in the streets looking up old investigators from the past. Anything we can do to try and find people who are interested. I have never walked so much in my life. This is a tough place to find people who actually want to hear what we have to say. I cant even begin to count the different churches that are in our area its crazy. But i love it and im definately growing. My patience for sure haha. Everyday it is tested in some form of way.
Well thats all i can really think of to put in here, its so hard to get 2 and a half weeks worth of stuff into just one email so hopefully i didnt miss too much. But thats what stories after the mish are for right?
I love this gospel and i love working everyday to find people!
Eu te amo!
Elder Gleason
P.S. 2 Nephi 5:27 and 2 Nephi 9:41 are my scriptures for today. Talk to you again on Monday! Real quick turn around!

No comments:

Post a Comment